Students’ Transport safety is our prime concern and we strive hard to make school transport a learning experience. We seek the support of the parents, the school authorities and the public to ensure the safety of our students while on the bus and at the parking zones. We can ensure the safety of our students if all concerned fulfill their responsibilities.
1. Responsibilities of School Transport Services LLC
School Transport Services LLC sets the tone for the safe transportation of children. Clear and concise policy statements are made and adopted by STS. STS adheres to all the bus specifications and safety measures prescribed by the Road and Transport Authority. They are responsible for –
- Comprehensive evaluation of the transport system of each school.
- Preparation of policies and procedures and effective implementation.
- School bus routing efficiency audit.
- Routing and logistics solutions.
- Stringent recruitment procedure.
- Continuous Professional Development. Every driver goes through pre-service training of 30 hours, bi-annual in-service training and regular CPD programmes.
- Monitoring of the Drivers - The Training Team monitors the performance of the drivers on their skills and attitudes.
- Monitoring of the vehicles through GPS. The Control Room at STS monitors the movement of the vehicle and the driving pattern of the drivers round the clock.
- Deployment of buses with specification prescribed by RTA / local authorities.
- Expert and high quality in-house maintenance of buses. Regular inspection of buses by the Fleet Inspectors.
- Ensure the highest standards in all aspects of school transportation.
2. School’s Responsibility
a) The Head of School –
- Create awareness of road safety and bus safety amongst the students through various activities.
- Should be aware of the seating plan of students in the buses, details of the routes and the time taken for picking-up and dropping-off of children.
- Must enforce rules and regulations concerning transportation of pupils to enable the bus drivers to effectively perform their duties. When cases of indiscipline, damage of buses or any misbehavior are brought to the attention take necessary disciplinary action including suspension of the student from the bus service.
- Provide a safe environment in the bus parking zone.
- Provide necessary training to the conductors/ bus supervisors to take care of the students, to take their attendance in every trip and also etiquettes and manners in dealing with parents and students.
- Teachers and administration staff of schools must be present at the parking zone to ensure safety of children when they arrive and depart.
b) The Teachers –
- It should be mandatory that students are provided instructions in school on bus safety and receives one evacuation procedure through Civil Defense at least once a year. Teachers have a golden opportunity to reinforce safety instruction and material in the classroom. Lessons can be geared around transportation according to grade level. Students can be asked to write compositions expressing feelings, reactions and concerns about transportation. Class discussions are beneficial. It just needs a little imagination and effort. Teachers can do some seemingly small things that will help to prevent accidents.
- Send students on time for buses. Let them not run to catch buses.
- Teachers should discourage students carry bulky projects or instruments that might block aisles.
- Speak positively to students about transportation safety.
- Teachers should have a good knowledge of local rules and regulations regarding transportation.